Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Dziwiszów to Jezioro Pilchowickie: Day 164

A day walking through farmland and woods ending at a reservoir.


After having made myself breakfast I left my accommodation and followed the road as it rose steeply through the narrow strip of houses that formed the village. Rejoining the blue route I continued gaining height through grassland until I crossed the ridge and dropped into the next valley. From there it was a winding path through the forest to reach another collection of rock outcrops hidden among the trees called Okole.
One outcrop had wooden stairs and a platform so that you could admire the view over the trees. However today you could not, as the mountain was in the clouds and there was intermittent light rain. I met the Polish hikers that I had encountered yesterday, apparently the landlady at their accommodation had assured them the view was spectacular. 
Then it was downhill to the village of Chrosnica. On the way farm dogs on the loose barked at me aggressively. Inevitably other hills followed, with some confusing trails. Sometimes I was in forest other times in farmland with huge fields of ploughed, brown earth. In one area there were bundles (or fagots) of alder branches presumably cut for use in traditional fencing. I passed through a number of villages but with a complete lack of cafes or shops. One village did have a church of particular interest. Although the church was modern, the original one had burnt down, it still had an ancient stone gatehouse.

As it added variety I was looking forward to walking around the reservoir of Jezioro Pilchowickie. First I spotted an iron railway bridge above the water level. The bridge was fenced off and the railway line abandoned. It ran along the side of the reservoir and was of a broader gauge than usual. There was even a train station, its windows boarded up but otherwise ready to receive trains.

Trees hid much of the reservoir, when it was visible I could see a large expanse of earth as the water level was very low. This was possibly because they were working on the dam that dated from 1903. Beside the dam the map showed a restaurant. I was expecting it to be closed due to the activity on the dam, so I was pleased to find it open. As I was camping tonight I decided on an early evening meal and ordered chicken schnitzel with potatoes and salad.
The blue route I was following ran along the top of the dam, but was closed due to the maintenance works. So instead I followed the yellow route to where it crossed the river below the dam. Then it was uphill on a green route until I could rejoin the blue route. This diversion was also helpfully marked with yellow and black tape by the Polish walking association. There were a lot of angry signs presumably telling you not to do something. I do not think I violated any of the instructions, unintelligible to me being in Polish, but was pleased to leave the area as my route continued to take me around the reservoir.
Seeing a convenient flat spot in a small valley I have pitched my tent. Although it is close to the path, and I usually like to hide among the trees, I doubt if anyone will be walking this way tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dziwiszów to Jezioro Pilchowickie: Day 164

A day walking through farmland and woods ending at a reservoir. After having made myself breakfast I left my accommodation and f...