I left my camping spot in the woods as the sun was rising over the far hills, a jet high up was marking the blue sky with a white streak. Startled by my approach, a group of deer rushed across my path as I crossed grassland, I had also seen a deer last night but those were all my sightings this trip so far. A lady was tending to her cattle in fields near the village of Glinno, in which a few friendly dogs took an interest in me and my rucksack as I put new batteriesin my GPS. Then it was up and over a mountain through the woods to Grodno Castle. An old medieval castle which had a major make over with Rennaisance additions in the 16th century. The display of implements for torture made me worry about people's ability to inflict unbearable pain on others.
After looking around and climbing the tower, the attached coffee shop was still not open, so I descended to the village of Zagórze Śląskie. No cafe open there either and the shop was closed.
As I walked through the woodlands there were a few people out picking fungi that looked too large and misshapen to be mushrooms. However, with the numbers of those out searching for them anong the trees, maybe they are a particular variety of mushroom.
After briefly crossing another village I continued over a series of summits. Those creating the route of the E3 or the blue route it followed, wanted to make sure I climbed to all the high points of this mountain, which involved several ascents and descents, often steep. If there had been views it might have been worth it but all was obscured by trees. There was better news when I reached the following valley. This was an urban area, which gave the impression of being poor and neglected, I spotted two people collecting plastic bottles. However it did have a bakery where I acquired a large latte and a doughnut.
The next mountain had an observation tower at the summit. Unusual as instead of stairs it had a spiral ramp that you walked up. I suppose it was to make it easier for disabled people although coming down in a wheelchair or mobility scooter would require good brakes. A group of less able people had been brought to the tower in what looked like a lengthened golf buggy. I wondered how many of them had made it to the up the tower. On top the steel structure swayed slightly in the wind as I looked over the tree tops at the wooded hills I had crossed and towns in the surrounding valleys. Some looked industrial with tall chimneys. Silesia was once an industrial area with coal mines so an industrial aspect was to be expected. At the base of the tower there was a stamp and inkpad so you could record your visit to the tower. I have seen similar stamps at other towers.
Tonight I am staying at an old spa town, developed for those seeking health benefits a century or so ago. Today, flowers in beds and baskets beside cobbled streets and promenades make for an attractive resort. They even had a promenade under cover for when it rained. I visited the pump room where I paid a few zlotys for a cup to fill with the allegedly healthy waters. Unlike at some spas the water tasted drinkable.
At my hotel, a renovated historic building fronted by grand columns, I enjoyed fish (dorada or sea bream), chips and salad for dinner at a price less than I expected for such a posh hotel. Outside a singer had trouble reaching the high notes.
No comments:
Post a Comment