Leaving the luxury of my hotel of last night I walked the 5 kilometres to Harrachov crossing the border from Poland into Bohemia, part of Czechia a.k.a. the Czech Republic. Now that there are no border controls in the Schengen area, the buildings that once served waiting vehicles have become unwanted and delapidated. There was a lonely "For Sale" sign beside one today. Only the tatty exchange office was still in operation where I swapped zlotys for korunas.
In Harrachov centre there was a glass factory with a shop selling their wine glasses, vodka glasses and lots of elegant, delicate and by the look of it fragile, glassware. Apparently this area is famous for its glass products. My immediate interest however was the coffee shop beside it where I had an early latte and cake.
I left Harrachov by walking up the hill to the railway station which was some distance away. A train had arrived and a coach was waiting to take passengers down to the village, although I could only see two people leaving the station so the coach might leave rather empty. As the railway loops around the mountains the views from the windows must be pretty good.
Continuing down the other side of the ridge I soon reached the River Jizera. My route then turned up the valley, the river on my right was occasionally visible through the trees; peaty brown water tumbling over boulders. Two large groups of cyclists raced passed me going downhill. Some looked excited by their speed, others worried. I saw no-one cycling up, so possibly the bikes had been transported to the top making for an easy ride.
My first destination was Jizerka. This scattering of large wooden buildings were located in a large meadow area surrounded by forest on a plateau. The buildings, which included two hotels, were spaced out, so there was no clustering to form a village centre. On the single track road there were few cars but plenty of couples out walking, groups of cyclists and a cluster of people on disability scooters.
After a gravel road my route continued on a rough track, where I moved from rock to rock, in what I thought was a graceful manner. A few outcrops of granite protruded from the forest, similar to those seen previous days. These geological features appeared to be the destination of many of those out walking. Although I could probably have managed to climb to the top of these small "tors", especially as iron rings had been cemented into one outcrop, I decided against it. Although not raining, the day was damp and misty, visibilty poor, the rocks wet and I had far to go.
My next destination was Smedava, where there was a hotel too expensive to contemplate. A little before was another black lake reflecting the trees beyond, similar to the one I saw yesterday. Both were created by building small stone dams. After Smedava I was aiming for a kiosk selling food, which I hoped to reach before it closed. I did not succeed. However, outside the small wooden building was a selection of beers, snacks etc.. There did not appear to be an honesty box, and I could see no prices. I wondered if they were free, what in the USA is called trail magic. As I actually had plenty to eat, my interest in the kiosk was more to add variety. I left with taking anything.
A little after I diverted to a small wooden tower where I looked down on a small area of bog. The relevant authorities were clearly pround of it. Among the reddish grass there were a few ponds, two ducks were enjoying one of them.
As darkness would soon fall I started looking for a discreet place to camp, not easy as the trees were densely packed, the uneven ground was wet and any dryer areas covered with blueberry bushes. My selected location is only a little off the road, but as it is behind a line of trees I doubt anyone will notice me.
No comments:
Post a Comment