A day resting in an old spa town.
Lądek-Zdrój is really two places; Zdrój is an old spa town while Lądek is also old but more typical of a town in these parts. Walking there this morning to a bakery marked on Google Maps I found a typical cobbled square with a church in the middle. Apart from the spire the church was completely covered in scaffolding, a renovation project under way. In front was a Baroque sculpture with the gold highlights (such as stars around a saints head) which I was becoming familiar with. Both parts of Lądek-Zdrój are a mixture of new, old and decrepit. Grand old buildings from the 19th century have broken windows and bare brick where the rendering has been removed, maybe to prevent it falling on passers-by before there is money to replace it. Newly renovated buildings look stylish in pastel colours. Sprinkled among are modern constructions of variable merit. At the bakery in Lądek I intended to buy a croissant and coffee, except it was not a croissant that I pointed to but bread shaped in a similar crescent. Nevertheless it did for my breakfast.
As I returned to the Zdrój it began to rain as forecast, another good reason for a rest day. Cautiously I entered the main spa building in wet clothing, climbed up the stairs and admired the domed interior. People were sitting around waiting for their treatments (or else for the rain to stop). As it was too early for the café at the Pump Room I visited a nearby equally old café where I had a decent raspberry cheesecake and coffee (not a latte as I tried to ask for but good enough).
Most of the remainder of the day I spent bringing my blog up to date, washing, buying supplies etc.. Most nearby restaurants seem to close at 6 pm on a Monday, so I settled for a pizza as the restaurant that stayed open a bit later. Gorgonzola and pear with a non alcoholic lager with mint and lime.
No comments:
Post a Comment