Sunday, October 4, 2026

Petrovice to Cínovec: Day 176

A misty morning and a cloudy afternoon as I walked over grassland, a change from days of forested mountains. 


There were long sections of grassland on my walk today with intermittent mixed woodland. Many trees were showing warm russet colours. There were hills but with gentler gradients than on earlier days. A few horse riders were out for a hack, and being Sunday there were a fair number of people out for a walk or bike ride. Their cars were parked on any field or patch of earth that could be easily reached from the road. Quad bikes raced passed me their headlights bright in the grey day, later returning at a similar speed.

In the morning the visibility was poor due to a dense mist. I could here distant voices but not see anyone in the general whiteness. Missing a turning I followed a road for a kilometre and on rejoining the correct route (marked here with red waymarks) I met a couple walking the same way. They reminded me that we had exchanged greetings yesterday, at the chateau above Děčin. They were spending the weekend walking and had also spent the night at Petrovice. 

I left them in search of a coffee at a restaurant in Adolfov. Although successful in my quest they sadly had no cake. I met the couple again at Komáří vížka where they were finishing their trip. Komáří vížka consists principally of a restaurant and bufet at the top of a chairlift linking it to the towns below. On another day there might have been a good view but today, although the mist had cleared, visibility was still limited with low, grey clouds. As one might expect I bought a coffee and cake at the bufet, however the paprika wurst smelt so tempting I ate one of these big sausages as well, dipping it in the mustard and horseradish(?) sauce provided. Well it was lunch time.
There were signs on the trail afterwards describing the area's mining heritage. Tin and tungsten were once dug up here. There was a small chapel where they prayed.
Cinovec had some similarities to Petrovice. As the German border is so close there were several "Free" shops. Cars were queuing to buy petrol, which is around 15% cheaper than in Germany according to the Internet. Things here are very accommodating to German tourists, Euros are accepted without question and signs and menus are in Czech and German. People generally assume I am German as few British people come to this area. From what I saw the village is not a place of beauty and history like some of the Czech villages on my trip. Consequently I stayed in my hotel for the remainder of the day and planned future stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Petrovice to Cínovec: Day 176

A misty morning and a cloudy afternoon as I walked over grassland, a change from days of forested mountains.  There were long se...