As I left the hotel, the streets seemed too quiet for a Monday morning, then I recalled that it was a Public holiday commemorating St Wenceslaus. Made famous in Britain as a result of a popular Christmas carol, he is the principal Czech Saint. Historically he was Duke of Bohemia (which is part of the Czech Republic) back in the 10th century.
My first target was the Ještěd tower, an unusual building with a wide base thinning to a tall, slender column. One of those grand statement pieces put up by communist regimes it seemed to me. Yesterday, in the museum I watched a short film which included construction of the tower which was finished in 1973. The trendy clothing warn by the younger people looked very much like the 1960's clothes then in fashion in Britain.
Most people would have taken the tram and then the chair lift to reach the tower, but I followed the road to the base of the mountain then continued in a wide arc to the south on the E3. By its curve the E3 made the climb to the summit slightly more gentle. Pausing at an information board I was impressed that there were trails for hikers, bikers, horse riders, cross country skiiers and even people in wheelchairs.
As I approached the summit the numbers of people greatly increased. Parents with small children followed the road as it spiralled around the mountain in its final ascent facing oncoming cyclists and cars. At the top, even from the base of the tower there were fantastic views in all directions. On one side I looked down on Liberec, its buildings tiny in the grey distance. On the opposite side fields dissappeared into the haze. Nearby I could see the forested mountains I was about to walk over, further away there were even more ranges.
I had turned on my phone in an attempt to find out which birds I could hear. Over my trip I had seen and heard very few birds. The most common was I thought the coarse cawing of crows, however my App said that were ravens. I also recorded a coal tit but otherwise the forest was silent today, not even the buzz of chainsaws.
With my phone on I noticed a message stating that my accommodation booking for tomorrow had been moved from September to October at my request. A little later an email said my booking had been cancelled at my request. I had not made either of these requests. After messaging the property to ask why they had changed my dates, I informed booking.com. My suspicion was that they did not want me and did not wish to pay booking.com any commission for making a booking. To achieve this it was necessary for me to apparently cancel rather than them. However if I had cancelled for a booking in a days time I would forfeit the money I had already paid booking.com. Consequently they first had to change the booking date to one sufficiently far away that I would incur no loss. I did not like this underhand behaviour. They messaged me to say they were closed on the dates they had advertised as being open on booking.com, and on which I had booked. After a couple of frustrating "chat" sessions, and two phone calls from booking.com, one from Hong Kong and the other from London, I was told that the property was not answering their phone and they were awaiting a response to their email. Eventually the property owner messaged me again repeating they were closed, I replied that he should respond to booking.com's email. This resulted in me being offered alternative accommodation in the same village, which I accepted despite a few negative reviews on Google. I am wondering what will happen when I reach the replacement property tomorrow.
This long and niggling saga rather spoilt my enjoyment of a lovely sunny afternoon. As the trail rose and fell in the trees, the temperature was warm enough for a tee shirt but cool enough to avoid sweating. Occasional vistas across the surrounding countryside added to the beauty of leaves gradually turning golden in the sun.
Food and refreshments at the bistro at the Ještěd tower and at a snack bar at the bottom of the mountain on the far side meant I was well fed. After the snack bar the crowds dissappeared and I had the afternoon sunshine to myself.
Around 5 pm I descended into fields and the houses of Jítrava. An attractive village, its buildings spread along the road. Many were constructed of logs but with flat, wooden arches fitted over their windows. A decorative feature I assumed. Another feature were the cups placed upside down on fences, an old Czech custom according to the Internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment