Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Cesky Jiretin to Nová Ves v Horách: Day 178

A short walk today through a forested plateau touching the German border again.


My tent was dripping was condensation this morning, dry on the outside but wet inside. On leaving the warm womb of my sleeping bag I found the morning cold, a sign of the advancing year. As I knew I would warm up as the sun rose I avoided putting on extra layers of clothing. After an hour I left the dark valley in which I had camped and walked into the sunshine which warmed my hands.
Continuing on tracks through the forest of the plateau I reached the German frontier once again. A couple of cyclists passed, two women were searching for mushrooms with their wicker baskets and a hiker out for the day exchanged an "Ahoy".

I had not far to walk today so stopped at the "Outlet Center" at Mníšek where a Chinese restaurant served me a coffee and slice of apple pie. The restaurant seemed to be doing more trade than the shops selling flowers among other things. All these Czech villages along the border had a corresponding village close by on the other side. The twin with Mníšek was the larger, and from a distance more attractive, village of Deutschneudorf.

From Mníšek it was an hour's walk to Nová Ves where I had a Pension booked. Arriving lunchtime gives me a chance to rest for longer walks in the next few days. 
I was not the only one at the pension. In the entrance area were over a dozen bikes of a cycling group.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cesky Jiretin to Nová Ves v Horách: Day 178

A short walk today through a forested plateau touching the German border again. My tent was dripping was condensation this morni...