An uneventful walk through a forested plateau, followed by a late lunch by a reservoir.
Today was mainly through forestry across a plateau, less strenuous today compared with a few days ago due to the lack of step slopes. The morning sun cast sun beams through the trees which my camera struggled to catch. It also failed to catch the redness of the rowans, heavy with berries which were more prominent now the leaves have shrivelled or fallen. A camera is a poor substitute for your eyes in seeing both the detail in the shade as well as that whitened with sunlight.
Although the path touched the edge of Nové Město, the snck bar was closed so there was nothing to detain me.
The route wandered on in an indirect way towards the Fláje reservoir, but first it diverted to a wooden cross. The cross was to remember the village of Fláje, drowned by the reservoir. I wondered if the junk at the base, rusted metal and broken china, was stuff washed up from the remains.
From its dam the large reservoir looked attractive, surrounded by trees, the sun reflecting off its surface, although the water level seemed low. It supplies drinking water and reduces the risk of flooding downstream. Hydroelectric power is also generated by flow out of the reservoir.
Near the dam was a bistro where I enjoyed a very late lunch. As the attentive waitress was waiting, and my phone was not switched on for use of Google Translate, I picked two items from the menu which looked familiar among the Czech words; Ceasar Salad and Iced Tea. A healthy choice although I also chose a slice of cake from their display for my dessert. Not so healthy but very nice, light and creamy.
Another hour and I was in Cesky Jiretin. A mixed collection of houses, many with steeply pitched Swiss chalet type roofs, others a modern version of a log cabin as wells as a run down shop or two selling cigarettes, alcohol, and garden ornaments to passing German tourists (I was again close to the border). A few ski tows suggested a modest amount of winter activity.
I walked a few kilometres more before diving into the forest to locate a hidden place to camp. Not that easy to find a flat spot as the trail was running along the side of a mountain. My choice is slightly sloping so I will probably end up in a pile at the bottom.
My boots are starting to fail. A lug holding the laces has broken although I can still manage to loop the lace over the remaining post. The fabric is also starting to come away from the rand. I bought them as they were recommended by some magazine and were lighter weight than my normal boots, which I thought would help my knee. However I think it unlikely they will be flying home with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment